Yesterday I went for my evening walk and it was already dark when I came to the water wheel on Indian creek and could not believe my eyes! I thought I was surely seeing things, but no, standing right in the river was a beautiful sand hill crane. They are very common here but I had never seen one this close before and certainly never after sunset in the river. It was really magical, he stood there for a few minutes before launching into flight but I got a real good look at this beautiful bird and when he took flight the wing span was huge. Watching him was for me a beautiful experience, I have always wanted to see one up close and it seems last night I got my wish, what a beautiful gift!
- Sandhill Cranes (goodnewsnow.wordpress.com)
- Sand Hill Cranes at Woodbridge Road (naturalhistorywanderings.com)
- Encountering the Sandhill Crane (heartofthewestcoast.com)
“The person who risks nothing, does nothing, has nothing, is nothing, and becomes nothing. He may avoid suffering and sorrow, but he simply cannot learn and feel and change and grow and love and live.” Leo Buscaglia
- The winds of change are blowing in my life, they always are. This time though the winds seem stronger, more powerful. They seem to be blowing me toward a new beginning. I want to embrace the change, rather than fight it. I want to make a sail for my boat and allow the winds to help me get to where I need to be, a place that’s warm and inviting, safe and protected, that shelters from the darkest storms that may come. In this place I know is peace and happiness….joy and fulfillment….trust and love. I feel that in this place I will find deep understanding of myself and my nature. I will embrace and be embraced in a love so deep that the strongest winds could not blow it away.
- “Thousands of candles can be lit from a single candle, and the life of the candle will not be shortened. Happiness never decreases by being shared.” ~Buddha
I have a happiness and joy in my heart today because I was able to share my joy with close friends. I rose early this morning and knew it was going to be a beautiful day, though the skies were steel gray and threatening rain it mattered little to my heart. I live for those fleeting little moments where I am with friends and enjoying the lightness of being. Just the simplicity of being in each others company, enjoying a nice home cooked meal. Every one bringing with them something to share, a story, a smile, a warm hug, thanks for a good meal and each others company. These moments in my life are so rare and I cherish them. I am the consummate chef and there’s nothing that makes me happier than cooking a meal and everything comes out to perfection, my friends are all happy and smiling with full stomachs and the comfort of simply sitting around enjoying each other. These are moments that fill the scrapbook of my mind.
“In nature we never see anything isolated, but everything in connection with something else which is before it, beside it, under it and over it.”
I went for a walk today and the sun was shining, the air was crisp and all around me was peaceful and quiet. Rosie (my dog) even seemed to be energized by the beauty of the day.